Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fraction Songs

We have learned several songs to help us remember how to simplify and create common denominators when using fractions.  Mr. Sanders walked by our classroom one day while we were singing one of our songs and asked us if we would like to come teach his class our songs.
Monday we had the opportunity to walk down to the 5th grade hall and teach them something new!  We sang our Rihanna song that has the steps for simplifying, our Taylor Swift song that has the steps for finding a common denominator, and our S-I-M-P-L-I-F-Y rap!  Mr. Sanders' class LOVED our songs and even wrote us a thank you note for sharing :)

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    This fall I am going to be teaching 4th grade for the first time and I love using music to teach concepts! Would you be willing to share your fraction songs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make them up yearly based on popular songs. Last year's songs were:

      To the tune of Umbrella by Rhianna:
      First I gotta find the factors, factors, factors
      Eh, eh, eh
      Then I gotta find the greatest, greatest, greatest
      Eh, eh, eh
      Then I'm going to divide, di-vide, di-vide
      Eh, eh, eh
      Then I have it simplified

      Delete
    2. The second is to Taylor Swift, Trouble
      I must know the multiples of the numbers
      Circle the common
      Repeat x3
      Cause I have to find the LCM
      OH! OH!
      Multiply multiply multiply
      OH OH
      Denominator denominator denominator

      Delete