Thursday, August 15, 2013

Rockin' in Room 27

This week I have worked and worked and worked and worked.  Many teachers have spent many late nights at the school trying to make everything perfect as we begin a new school year.  It never fails though, we are all running around frantically on student orientation day regardless of the amount of hours we have worked prior to that day.

Today was student orientation day and yes, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off.  Alyssa Borden, one of my students from last year and Kathleen Borden's daughter, helped me tremendously the past two days.  She was there to cut laminated material, hand me items while I was on a ladder so that I didn't have to climb up and down, scrape velcro from desks, place name tags, staple and pass out packets, run errands, and simply do anything I needed her to.  She was AMAZING.  She and I put last minute touches on my classroom and got orientation packets ready just in the nick of time.

After losing 2 students at 2:00 this afternoon and gaining another student at 4:00, frantically making a wish-list, and running last minute copies, everything was finally in place when 6:00 rolled around.  I met many wonderful students and their extremely supportive parents.  I had a chance to share with them about my passion for reading and my love for their children.  As orientation wrapped up I made my way through the classroom and chatted with individual families.  Each parent was so eager to be involved and was genuinely concerned with their child being challenged to be the best they can be each day.  I cannot wait for Monday to get here and for the chance to spend the next 180 school days with this precious group of kids.  My heart is so full :)





No comments:

Post a Comment