Friday, August 24, 2012

iPick Good Shoes?

Following P.E. today the students met me and these 4 lovely pairs of shoes at the carpet.
We began discussing how each pair of shoes has a PURPOSE.  I would not need to wear my heels to do yardwork, nor would I need to show up at a wedding in my running shoes.
We also talked about how cleats and ballet shoes were not on the table.  I do not own a pair of either of those shoes because I am not INTERESTED in those activities.
Finally I put on Mr. Upton's shoes and we talked about how they were way too big for me.  They had a hard time COMPREHENDING the fact that I would show up to play on their Sheff Cup team in those shoes.  They told me I would not be successful.  I then asked about wearing some shoes that were too small and again, they said I would not be successful at playing soccer.

All of the shoe stories related to picking GOOD FIT books.  We learned the acronym iPick to help us choose good fit books for us. 
I = I choose the book.

P = What is my purpose in reading?
Just like every shoes has a purpose, so does every book.
I = Am I interested in the book?
Just like we do not have shoes for activities we are not interested in, we shouldn't choose books we aren't interested in just because our friends chose to read it.
C = Can I comprehend what I read?
Just like shoes that are too big make us feel unsuccessful, books that are too big can make us feel unsuccessful at reading.  It is important to choose books that FIT US so that we feel SUCCESSFUL!
K = Do I know most of the words?
If we do not know the words we will not be able to comprehend what we read.

No comments:

Post a Comment