Friday, August 19, 2011

August 18th and 19th

Reader's Notebooks
Thursday we spent the day learning all about our Reader's Notebooks.  We discussed every sheet in our notebook in detail and even wrote our first entry on our Reader's Response sheet.


Robotics Training


On Friday I spent the day in a Robotics Training at Calhoun.  Mrs. Corson and I sponsor the robotics team at Leon Sheffield and, until Friday, had received no training.  We taught ourselves a ton last year but we still were anxious to improve and learn more for this year!

We were given this book

and these pieces



and told to construct our robot. 

 This is what mine looked like!


It kind of reminded me of Wall-E.


This is what my robot did...

Using a computer program, I programmed my robot to travel forward for 3 seconds, rotate the lever to hit the ball, make an applauding sound, travel backwards for 3 seconds, and then say "brilliant!".

This was a very cool training!  Mrs. Corson, Mrs. Poovey, Mrs. Farris, and myself all had the best time!  We made some really neat robots and programmed them to do some really cool things.  The training continues Saturday morning at 9.  I know we're going to learn a lot more then!


 A Sneak Peak At Next Week's Spelling Words
This week's spelling skill is suffixes.  We will be looking at words with the following suffixes:
-ous, -ful, -ly, -ment, and -less

joyous
useful
lonely
dangerous
hopeful
movement
playful
careless
freely
painful
helpless
statement
hazardous
gladly
marvelous
fearless
treatment
suddenly
shipment
harmless

No comments:

Post a Comment