Monday, August 1, 2011

Welcome to Mrs. Upton's Room!

I am so excited to have you in my classroom this year.  We are going to learn a lot but we will have a super time while doing so!
Now, a lot of you probably know me as Miss Bowling.  I have been Miss Bowling for 4 years at Leon Sheffield and that name kind of sticks :).  This summer I GOT MARRIED to Mr. Ryan Upton :)  Along with being married comes a new last name.  So, I am no longer Miss Bowling.  This year I will begin going by Mrs. Upton.  If you slip up and call me Miss Bowling it will be okay.  Matter of fact I slip up and call myself Miss Bowling some times, too.  It's going to take some practice for all of us, but I think we can handle the change.
Below is a picture of several of my students from last year and me at my wedding reception.  I was so glad they were able to join me on this special day.

This year will begin my 5th year at Leon Sheffield and my 5th year of teaching 4th grade.  In 2007 I graduated from Athens State University with a B.S. in Elementary Education and then in 2010 I received a M.A. in Library Media from The University of West Alabama.  I absolutely love my job and I really enjoy teaching the 4th grade.  My students are always the sweetest, the curriculum is the coolest, and I think I have the best classes each and every year - and I already know this year is going to be the same.  I have a fabulous looking class list of 22 SUPER 4th graders.
Throughout the year we will have 2 websites.  I will have a classroom web page that will stay updated with important upcoming dates, student blogs, spelling lists, homework assignments, reading requirements, study guides, and math information.  You may visit that site now to see what it looks like and to get acquainted with it, www.dcs.edu/webpages/lbowling.  In addition to the classroom web page I will also maintain this blog.  The purpose of the blog is for you to see the fun things going on inside of our classroom and around our school each day.

OPEN HOUSE  
Open House is scheduled for Thursday, August 11th at 6:30 p.m.  I will take a few moments to meet with parents while Mrs. Poovey holds students in the gym or Little Theatre.  We will take this time to discuss a few important topics like how we conduct math in 4th grade and a few other tidbits, then the kiddies will come in and have a chance to put their school supplies away.  If you are unable to attend Open House you may bring your school supplies with you on the first day of school which is Monday, August 15th.

I am looking forward to seeing and meeting each of you!

Stayed tuned for pictures of this year's classroom :)

1 comment: